So, here we go - this is the quilt I want to end with..........And, yes, I have only one day to put it together.
This is how I started. I cut 20 stars out of freezer paper - the same stuff you use to wrap meats in. Weird thing to be using but it works. I have actually never used it in the kitchen. It all goes in my craft room.
So, with my cut out freezer stars I iron them onto the backs of my fabrics, waxy side down. (The wax is what melts the two together, but not permanently) Then I cut around each star pattern about a quarter inch around. I cut the points square and I cut a slice into the valleys.
Then I iron all the 1/4" fabric edges over the freezer paper.
Each star will look like this. Yes, it does take a bit of time. But remember, we are doing this in one day, so it doesn't take forever. And there are only 20, after all.
After the stars are ironed, then pull out the freezer paper and throw it away. You can actually use the same pattern over a few times. But I preferred to do 20 separate patterns and do them all at once.
With the freezer paper out of the way, spray the fabric with spray starch and iron all the edges over firmly. I love this whole process. The star is PERFECT when you are done.
I have a variety of blue, red and tan flower prints. Each is cut in 5 1/2" squares and sewn together in four squares. I put two red with two tans. And two blue with two tan. Iron every seam really well and match the edges as best you can. When you have them all sewn together, square them up so they are all the same size.
Now, the fun starts. Put a little glue stick on the back of each star. I love this part. So many uses for that 'ole glue stick.
Glue a blue star on the red prints and a red star on the blue prints. Line them all up the same.
Now, the stars will stay in place while you sew them on. I wish everything were this easy.
Use a wide blanket stitch on your machine. Yes, it is just that easy.
And look what you have!!
Before I started sewing them together, I laid them all out on the floor and put them in the order I wanted them. I wanted the red to alternate with the blue and I didn't want any of the same prints to be touching. This took me a while to look at it and rearrange it till I was happy. There are four stars across and five down.
Then I sewed each row across, giving me five rows of star squares. Then I sewed the rows together. For me to keep things straight, I leave the squares laid out on the floor except the ones I am sewing. I can get so confused sometimes.
I pinned a lot when I was sewing the rows together. I wanted my seams to match perfectly.
Yes, this quilt is sooo me. I am loving it. I could have stopped here......but....
It wasn't as long as I wanted it to be so I added some boarders.
I have a two inch red, a four inch tan and a 6 inch blue. I really loved it at this point but I still wanted to add a few inches to the top and bottom. It is just not long enough to cover the bed I am going to put it on.
I took all my scrapes and sewed them together. They were in varying widths and I liked it that way. Once again, I laid them all out before I sewed them so I could get the look I wanted.
I sewed them on each end and then finished with another 6 in red boarder.
IT IS DONE and I LOVE it.
I didn't want to have a plain back and besides I didn't have enough of any one fabric to make a back. So, again I pieced all the left over pieces together.
I am just starting to quilt it together now.
I don't think that part will be done in a day..........darn.
But I will let you know when I am done.